Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Bug: if "Editor" is not enabled in custom type, Bad Things Happen

This support ticket is created 5 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 5 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

The problem: I have a custom type using Toolset Types, and when I would create a new post of this type, I was unable to select a Toolset Template Layout. This mean that the post could not display. Even worse, existing posts of this type could become broken if I edited them and saved any changes.

The solution: it turns out that there is a bug in Toolset Types 3.2.1. (I am using the Toolset Starter Theme.) On a custom post type, if the "Editor" section is not set to display, then when you try to edit this post, you cannot select a template layout. It shows a dropdown list to select a template layout, but the list is not populated.

See image for the exact checkbox that needs to be checked. (Oops, it wouldn't let me update.)

Other important info: we are also using the Beaver Builder plugin. So, there could be a plugin interaction here. But it seems like a Toolset bug, because I fixed it by editing the custom post type and enabling the display of the Editor section.

To reproduce:

- create a new custom post type with Toolset Types
- You should also have Toolset Layouts enabled
- On thisnew post type, UNCHECK the box beside "Editor". This means that when editing the new post type, you won't see the standard WordPress editor. (Note: it is very useful to be able to disable this on post types that should always use a page builder, like Beaver Builder.)
- Now try to add a new post of your custom post type. You will not be able to select a template layout, so the post will not display.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

I couldn't reproduce this issue, nor could my colleague who happened to be looking at it at the same time.

That's with a WP 5.0.1 site with current Beaver Builder, Types, Views and Layouts, using the Toolset Starter Theme.

I must point out that the Toolset Starter Theme is deprecated and no longer supported. If you switch to twentyseventeen do you still see the issue?

I should also mention that Beaver Builder and Layouts are both page builders, and you are expected to use one or the other, not both.

Do you see any errors in the browser console on the post edit screen where you are trying to select a Template Layout?

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.