Skip Navigation

[Resolved] bootstrap columns

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The user would like to have a 5 columns grid in with bootstrap.

Solution:
This is not possible without custom CSS, Bootstrap is a 12 columns grid, we may build with it 2, 3, 4, or 6 columns grid.

The user comes up with a custom CSS to build it. Check here https://toolset.com/forums/topic/bootstrap-columns/#post-1691261

This support ticket is created 3 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by johnh-18 3 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author
Screenshot.jpg

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I would like to create 5 columns in a row instead of 6 (see attached screen shot) but 5 does not appear to be an option in bootstrap - is there a way around this?

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Bootstrap grid is a 2 column grid. For a 6 columns design, we use two Bootstrap grid column for each column of ours, that's why we use the col-sm-2 CSS class:

<div class="col-sm-2"></div>

Toolset wraps the number of configured columns for the view in a row, you can use the index argument of the wpv-item shortcode to add a 1 column before and after the items, something like:

<wpv-loop>
    [wpv-item index=1]
      <div class="col-sm-1"></div>  <!-- <=== We add this -->
      <div class="col-sm-2">  The post here </div>
    [wpv-item index=other]
    [wpv-item index=last]
      <div class="col-sm-1"></div>  <!-- <=== We add this -->
 </wpv-loop>

More about these shortcodes here: https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views/views-shortcodes/#vf-154400

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Screenshot 2.jpg

Hi Jamal,
Thank you for your message. Tried the code you sent but still get 6 columns although the last slot is empty - please see attached screenshot.
What am I doing wrong?
Best regards

Jamal
Supporter

I suspect that the view is still configured to display 6 posts per row. You can use the wrap shortcode argument to force the use of 5 elements per row.

<wpv-loop wrap="5" pad="true">

More about it here https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views/views-shortcodes/#vf-154381

If this does not help, please allow me temporary access and let me check this closely. Your next reply will be private to let you share credentials safely. ** Make a database backup before sharing credentials. **

Jamal
Supporter

Hello Jhon, it seems to work, check this screenshot hidden link
It just needs to change my code:

The post here

With the content template:

[wpv-post-body view_template="loop-item-in-homepage-spain-5-most-recent"]

I did this change and I tested on a private page called "TS Test". Check this screenshot hidden link

Please note that the Bootstrap grid is a 12 column grid, and that is non-divisible by 5.

I hope this helps. Let me know your feedback

Hi Jamal,
Thank you. Is the fact that 5 is not divisible by 12 the reason there are big left and right margins?
Did a few searches and found this page that suggest using 2dot4 (12 / 5 = 2.4) to achieve this so tried the following CSS which seems to work apart from one important thing - the entries is not aligned in a row.
See hidden link

Is this a possible way forward OR is there any other way to get rid of the left and right margin?

Best regards / john

.col-sm-1,
.col-2dot4,
.col-sm-2dot4 {
position: relative;
width: 100%;
min-height: 1px;
padding-right: 15px;
padding-left: 15px;
}
.col-2dot4 {
-webkit-box-flex: 0;
-ms-flex: 0 0 20%;
flex: 0 0 20%;
max-width: 20%;
}

@media (min-width: 540px) {
.col-sm-2dot4 {
-webkit-box-flex: 0;
-ms-flex: 0 0 20%;
flex: 0 0 20%;
max-width: 20%;
}
}

Jamal
Supporter

I think it is a good solution. It just needs to be floated left:

fload: left;

Check this screenshot hidden link

And then, you can remove the 1column divs that we have added to the first and last cells:

<div class="col-sm-1"></div>

The empty left column is caused by another Elementor div on the page, check this screenshot hidden link

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.