Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Blocks usage – Toolset Views vs. Blocks

This support ticket is created 4 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Vane 4 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Hi,

I'm testing Blocks and it has some advantages, but I wanted to create some stuffs like dynamically filtered views and I can't do that.
I have a CPT (custom post type) with CFs (custom fields) and CTs (custom taxonomies) and I want to create such entities what described here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views/passing-arguments-to-views/
hoping I can create one "view"
for dynamic CF1,
another for dynamic CF2,
just another for dynamic CT1,
etc.,
but when I use Blocks, I can't use Views and in Blocks I don't know how can I set up such entities.

So I activated Views, then Toolset deactivated Blocks,
and what single and archive templates I created for my CPTs (in Blocks), I don't see and I can't use them in Views...

So
a) how could I the most easily do in Blocks what I want and described above?
b) I read somewhere that Views contains all features Block does, but after days of testing I'm not convinced and I think it is not easy to migrate to Blocks from Views and vice versa...

Thank you!

Giving more details, which might help more:
my use case is like Author archives:
I have a parent CPT (PCPT) and a child CPT (CCPT) in one-to many relationship
the CCPT is like a regular WP post, and PCPT can be considered as the Author (just for example)
The archive of this CCPT contains all posts of all Authors, but I want to create filtered list of this archives by Autors and display those on the Authors' pages.
So how can I clone such an Author archive solution for any PCPT?

What might be a solution is described here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views/front-page-filters/#2-6-filtering-posts-by-their-ancestors
So if I can create such a View were a dynamic value is fetched automatically from the ancestor, the PCPT ( like the Author Name, as a CF ), I suppose it can work...

What do you think?

Thank you

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

I'm not sure where you read that Toolset Blocks has all the features of Views.

The only sense that that is true is that you can go to the settings and change the editor preferences, so that you use the classic editor for Views instead of the new Block editor for Views.

The Block editor for Views still misses quite a few features of the classic Views, such as User or Taxonomy Views, but also—as you have identified yourself—passing arguments to Views using shortcode attributes.

It will be added in the future, but for now you cannot.

You might benefit from a hybrid approach.

At Toolset > Settings in the editor preferences you can opt to see both UIs, i.e. the block editor for Views and the classic editor.

So for simple Views you can create them with the Block editor, but for more complex Views that require features missing from the Block editor, you can use the classic editor for Views as before. (And you can even design the output template of the View using Blocks if you like, you just can't create the View from within the Block editor).

It doesn't matter in this case whether you have the Toolset Blocks plugin or the Views plugin active.

"I'm not sure where you read that Toolset Blocks has all the features of Views..."

I wrote:
"I read somewhere that Views contains all features Block does..."
English is not my native language, so I'm sorry so I didn't mean what you got, but just the opposite.

I like your hybrid approach, so I gonna use that,
Thank you

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.