Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Blocks causing high CPU Load and other issues

This support ticket is created 3 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice.

Last updated by DaveR6137 3 years, 3 months ago.

Author
Screenshot (118).png

I've been trying to convert my site from using Layouts to using Blocks as there are a number of features in Blocks that i need - and initially this was a success. I created templates for my different cpt on some other websites running on the same multisite as this site as well as as similar a setup as possible (same child theme and plugins - with a few extra on the primary site - Buddypress and bbPress in the main)

However, over the last few days - I've found the process of creating these templates on Mud and Routes to be a 'painful' process as they were often failing to save, and often losing data in between these saves. I was getting issues such as invalid JSON errors. However, i was able to progress slowly.

Tonight - on creating the final cpt template - the issue has become impossible. I was able to perhaps do a single edit on a page, and then it may or may not save. The whole site would become unresponsive until i closed that template editor page - at which point the pages would load again.

I noticed that the CPU load on my server (a decent hosting package 8GB and currently my traffic is low in comparison to peak times in August) was stuck on 100%. I tried disabling all plugins that i could - this is a live site and income is important - and found the only effect was when i disabled blocks plugin on the Main Domain (it is still running on 7 or 8 sub-sites on the same install, which have roughly 20-30% of the traffic level of main site). So i tried repeating this step (including deactivating all toolset plugins and re-activating) - and when it was deactivated - CPU went down to 10-20% usage, and up to 90-100% when activated.

I've included one screenshot from now which shows some of the json issues in the console - I suggest you take a look at these templates that I've created for my post types directly.

I've also tried to change about every setting as well - no luck!

Any idea what could be causing this?

Just some extra info that may help this. I've inserted a fair bit of code from my old layouts into these templates which includes a few that include a number of conditionals. Nothing I'd consider complex - just if a custom field is empty, then populate it from alternative post.

The front end site still runs perfectly fast as I've a pretty speedy page cacheing plugin active - which is basically what's keeping the site running.

Just a heads up that I've solved the issue.

It was indirectly caused by Blocks - but not a bug or an issue with the plugin.

It seems that the settings Browser history management - create a load of ugly urls such as:
/five-things-outdoor-grub-how-to-articles/?wpv_view_count=99841-TCPID21659&wpv_paged=26

This in turn was being crawled by bots - with over 30,000 visits in the last 12 hours by one bot.

This explains why the task was becoming progressively harder as it went along - as the initial sites only had around 100 pages in total - while my main site has somewhere approaching 30k posts - each of which would have been contributing to the issue in some way.

I'd put many of the 'related post' views to paginate automatically - with some of these views having around 900 pages to them - so that single post would increase load by 900x.

Posting the explanation in hope that it may help someone else.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.