Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Automatically link #hashtags within a textarea / single line field?

This support ticket is created 3 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do? Make Toolset automatically hyperlink any single word (without a space) with a # in front of it... aka a hashtag like #toolsetrocks that would become a hyperlink when displayed in a view/template that when clicked on would automatically link to a search result with that hashtag and show other posts using that hashtag.

Is there any documentation that you are following? I tried searching the toolset threads but found nothing.

Is there a similar example that we can see? Twitter, Facebook, etc...

Hello, I think it's a great idea but it's not currently built-in to Toolset or WordPress so I think you would need to submit this as a new feature request. Our management team reviews the requests submitted here and takes our customers' opinions into consideration: https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/

One similar solution that is available right now is to create a custom flat taxonomy and add tags for each hashtag you want to associate with a post. You could even create HTML links to those tags directly in the post content. Then use the wpv-post-taxonomy shortcode to display a list of those tags for each post - those could be set up to link to the taxonomy archive for each term. It wouldn't be as automatic as what you're describing, but the functionality could be very similar.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.