Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Author dropdown and custom roles

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I would like to add Users in a custom role "Members" to the author select field in the post editor screen.

Solution: Add custom code to your child theme's functions.php file:

function wpdocs_add_members_to_dropdown( $query_args, $r ) {

$query_args['role'] = array('member');

// Unset the 'who' as this defaults to the 'author' role
    unset( $query_args['who'] );

return $query_args;
}
add_filter( 'wp_dropdown_users_args', 'wpdocs_add_members_to_dropdown', 10, 2 );

100% of people find this useful.

This support ticket is created 5 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by helenmaryC 5 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

In WordPress, users with roles of Author, Editor, and Admin appear in the Author dropdown box on posts and custom post types. I would also like for users assigned to my custom role of Member to be shown in the Author dropdown.

I have set the capabilities for Member to include edit_posts, edit_published_posts, publish_posts, and read, mimicking the capabilities of the Author role, but I still can't see Members in the dropdown. Is there another setting I need to make, or is this something that has to be done with code?

Thanks.

Hi, you can add some custom code to your child theme's functions.php file to add Members to this dropdown:

function wpdocs_add_members_to_dropdown( $query_args, $r ) {

$query_args['role'] = array('member');

// Unset the 'who' as this defaults to the 'author' role
    unset( $query_args['who'] );

return $query_args;
}
add_filter( 'wp_dropdown_users_args', 'wpdocs_add_members_to_dropdown', 10, 2 );

Worked like a charm! Thanks for your help.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.