Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Assigning a Layout to 404 pages

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
How to assign a Toolset Layout to a 404 page?

Solution:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/assigning-a-layout-to-404-pages/#post-1308529

This support ticket is created 4 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by russellH-3 4 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author
Screenshot_2019-08-03 Edit layout ‹ seamless fencing and glass — WordPress.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Design a Layout to my 404 error pages.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
No. When I first landed on a 404 page I was given an option to create a layout for it. I did, but when I view it on the front end, the layout doesn't seem to be there.

When I was designing the layout I could see that it was assigned to 'Error 404 Page' so I'm not sure why this isn't working.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
hidden link

What is the link to your site?
See above. I'm attaching a screenshot of the Layout for this page. You can see that none of the content in the layout seems to appear on the 404 link above.

Thanks!

To assign a Layout to a 404 page you'll need to create a 404 archive, like the Theme example shown here does:
hidden link (check hidden link)

But you will also need to declare integration with Layouts in your theme, like the example above does here:
hidden link

function MinimaX1_is_integrated_with_layouts() {
    return true;
}
add_filter('ddl-is_integrated_theme', 'MinimaX1_is_integrated_with_layouts');

We do not recommend however integrating Layouts anymore like that.
Toolset as well offers full integration with page builders like Gutenberg and Template engines like Elementor or WP Bakery Page Builder, in case this helps to achieve your goal

I am happy to assist along with integration if you want to use Layouts for full templating, it's just not the "recommended" path.
In this case, I'd recommend taking a look at the above-shared theme, which shows how to integrate Toolset.

Thanks Beda. I'll give your suggestion a try. I'm still getting used to getting away from Layouts and using Gutenburg instead so I see your point about not relying on Layouts so much any longer. I'll come back if I have any more questions.

Kind regards, Russell

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.