Skip Navigation

[Resolved] application errors bring down server

This support ticket is created 6 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by malagaS 6 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do? Hi, is there any setting in toolset to prevent application errors from causing more problems than they need to? sometimes toolset tells you when you do something wrong (like put a tag where it doesn't belong or some configuration option that won't work) but sometimes it does not, and saving the view/form/etc. cause application errors on the server and sometimes can bring the server down. is there a setting in toolset that would error/exit out from within the application before causes server level errors? thanks.

Is there any documentation that you are following? n/a

Is there a similar example that we can see? n/a

What is the link to your site? n/a

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

I can't think of any situations where using Toolset would expect to trigger fatal errors because of some setting or option or combination of settings that you make without custom code or unexpected behaviour from 3rd party code being involved.

That is, any time a fatal error were triggered it would be unexpected and cannot be anticipated, so there is no setting to handle them in some certain way. Unit tests are being added to more-and-more of our codebase and QA testing is intended to catch any potential bugs before updates are published, but where fatal errors do occur, because of a bug or because of some interaction with 3rd party code, they can only be handled on a case-by-case basis as they arise.

We always recommend creating a backup before updating plugins, but apart from that there is not much by way of general advice I can offer.

If you have an example of such an issue you can share then I can investigate further.

Thanks - for example, if custom code in a view loop would cause an error, then it could simply give an error screen or somehow exit when trying to save the view. Instead, when it tries to save, it hangs and causes an application error on the server. sometimes apache has to be restarted. it's similar to writing bad code. maybe what I'm asking isn't realistic - just thought I'd ask. thank you.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

It would be possible to catch simple syntax errors, e.g. when a semi-colon is used in place of a comma when defining an array, but that's not how most errors arise, it's through the interaction of different parts of code coming from various sources, and so it is by its nature unpredictable.

For our part, we are expanding unit test coverage as we update the plugins, to minimise the possibility of errors occurring within Toolset in isolation, but there will always be an unpredictable element arising from 3rd party code, which we will handle on a case-by-case basis as they arise.

If you have any particular incident where errors have occurred, please let me know and I can follow them up.

good to know, thank you. especially on shared environments where there is limited access to restart apache or troubleshoot at server/database level, the more checking on the app side the better. if I can provide examples in the future I'll update. thanks!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.