Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Allow users to link to another post type with a relationship

This support ticket is created 4 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Dallin Chase 4 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

The Problem:

I have two custom post types. Schools and Advisors. I'd like to allow users (with the advisor user permissions) to create their Advisors profile (which is a custom post type) and choose which School (an already published post) they are in a relationship with. The form seems to work if I'm logged in as an admin but when I log in as an advisor and try to create my profile I can't see the schools to choose which one I'm in a relationship with.

Quick video explaining: hidden link

any-author.JPG

Hello,

How do you setup the post form and the relationship field?

Please edit the post form you mentioned in video, find the relationship field "School Advisers", make sure you have enabled option "Get options by any author", see screenshot: any-author.JPG

More help:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/cred-shortcodes/#cred_field
author Optional. Use it with a parent selector field to specify that the list of parent posts should be limited to those authored by the mentioned user ID.

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 2.33.52 PM.png

Hey Luo,

That is how I have it configured right now.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Dallin,

Thanks for writing back and for sharing the screenshot.

Luo will be away on vacations until Monday, so I'll be helping you with this ticket.

I've performed some tests on my website, with a similar post-relationship and form, but couldn't reproduce this behavior.

Can you please share temporary admin login details, so that I can investigate this in more detail?
( please also include the username and password for the advisor user, which is not seeing the schools in the list )

Note: Your next reply will be private and though no changes will be made on your website, please make a complete backup copy, before sharing the access details.

regards,
Waqar

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Dallin,

Thank you for sharing these details.

I was able to login using the advisor user, but the admin user's username is not clear.

Can you please check and share that again?
( your next reply will be private as well )

regards,
Waqar

Hello?

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Dallin,

Thank you for sharing the admin access.

I was able to log in and check the relationship form and the custom post type settings, which seem to be correct.

The issue seems to be stemming from the user privileges/capabilities assigned to the custom user role "School Advisor" and to narrow down to the exact cause, I'll need to perform some tests, which can't be performed on a live website.

I'll recommend sharing the clone/snapshot of your website, as explained in this guide:
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

This way troubleshooting will be carried on the clone, without affecting the live website.

Your next reply will be private too.

regards,
Waqar

My issue is resolved now.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.