Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Allow members to edit their member profile

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The issue here is that the user wanted to have their customer's edit their own content on the frontend.

Solution:

This can be done by creating a frontend edit form and following the instructions in the link below.
https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/publish-content-from-the-front-end/forms-for-editing/

This support ticket is created 5 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 62 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by laurieB 5 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Laurie,

What do you mean change it ? Or link their profile ?

Isn't it already linked when the user creates their profile ?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Shane

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 3.41.33 PM.png

Hi Shane,

I have moved over all the members from the original site. All members will all need to log into the new site and update their profiles. They are redirected to the My Member Services page once logging in. (See screen capture)

I want a link under Create your member profile button that says Edit Member Profile, and it takes them to the page to edit. How do I get them there?

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 8.11.48 AM.png

Shane,

HELP!
This is NOT working as expected. Yesterday and this morning we tested a new member signing up and completing the form. I have already done this at least 10 times before making the edit form change, and it worked fine. Now there is an error when you go to the form to complete your member profile and it will not submit. In addition there are several pending posts either blank or with misc. information from the form. (CRED Auto Draft 953f13435d7542b0a715f4f8e70f64fb — Pending) One I just did only has 2, the one from yesterday has 16! I reached out to MemberPress as well, but all this was working fine.

See here: hidden link

Appreciate your help!

Shane
Supporter

Hi Laurie,

It seems the error is coming memberpress.

Could you check that your wordpress debug is not active ?

You can check your wp-config.php file in your wordpress directory for the line
define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Ensure that it is set to false.

Thanks,
Shane

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 9.39.48 AM.png

I set to false. No error now, however the form will not submit. There is a pop-up error (see attached) It was working until we added the edit functionality.

I logged in and under the Member Post Type there are 6 drafts pending with elements from the form I tried to submit.

We are completing a NEW form, there is no member profile yet. Why would the field show up as individual edits? This should not work this way.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Laurie,

It could be an issue with the AJAX submission.
Could you disable the ajax submission on the form so that a full page load can be done ?

Also the reason why you are getting the auto draft is because the post title is not being set at all. I checked your form fields and none of your fields are setting the post_title which is the default field for the post title.

This could be why you are getting the error submitting your form.

Thanks,
Shane

Post_title is not a form field I see to add. How do I set that? The form submitted, but did create a bunch of auto drafts.

Okay, found it. testing now.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Laurie,

What you can do is to just set the field that you are using for their title to the post_title.

This way it will populate the Post Title field and you should no longer be getting the auto-draft.

Thanks,
Shane

I changed the company name field to:

[cred_field field="[wpv-post-title]" force_type="field" class="form-control" output="bootstrap"]

It shows an error on the form "There is a problem with Member Profile Form field. Please check CRED form."

Do I need to change something on the custom post type?

Shane
Supporter

Hi Laurie,

The field should actually be like this.
[cred_field field="post_title" force_type="field" class="form-control" output="bootstrap"]

This one should work.

Thanks,
Shane

Okay, that works, still a few things going on.

1) It does not name the post with the post_title (company name) it shows up as a draft. Is there a way around that? They need to be reviewed prior to posting on the site, but it seems complicated to change the name and permalink for every one.

2) The results for the dropdown fields for categories and sub-categories do not show up at all in the Member Profile custom post.

3) Once published the member is added to the directory, however the member profile page is not created.

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 12.58.54 PM.png

Hi Shane,

More information. When I go into the single post template, and try to preview the new member, It's trying to also edit the information as well as preview. I do NOT think the edit can go on this page, which is why it will not show up when I click on the member in the directory.

See screencapture

Shane
Supporter

Hi Laurie,

Let us try to keep this thread as simple as possible so that information isn't lost in our communication 🙂

I'll be answering these questions.
1) It does not name the post with the post_title (company name) it shows up as a draft. Is there a way around that? They need to be reviewed prior to posting on the site, but it seems complicated to change the name and permalink for every one.

Not sure why you're using a separate field for the post title when you can use the Post title as the company name.

In your case we can use some code to set the company name if you change your company name field to the post title.

What I mean is to change this.
[cred_field field='company_name' force_type='field' class='form-control' output='bootstrap'] </div>

To
[cred_field field='post_title' force_type='field' class='form-control' output='bootstrap'] </div>

Then we can use custom code to copy that post title into the company name field. This will set the proper permalink for the post since it now has a post title to work with.

2) The results for the dropdown fields for categories and sub-categories do not show up at all in the Member Profile custom post.
For the categories dropdown. This is happening because you are manually setting the categories from the form using this code here.

<div class="section-description">
      <p>Please select a category and a sub-category below. If you are a Non-Profit, please choose the "Non-Profit" category.</p></div>
<div class="profile-biz-cat-sub">
[cred_generic_field field='gen-biz-category' type='select' class='form-control' output="bootstrap"]
{
"required":0,
"default":[],
"options":[{"value":"animal-care","label":"Animal Care"},
      {"value":"arts-literature","label":"Arts & Literature"},
      {"value":"beauty-spa","label":"Beauty & Spa"},
      {"value":"care-coordinator","label":"Care Coordinator"},
      {"value":"childrens-needs","label":"Children's Needs"},
      {"value":"diversity-multi-cultural","label":"Diversity/Multi-Cultural"},
      {"value":"education","label":"Education"},
      {"value":"fashion","label":"Fashion"},
      {"value":"food-drink","label":"Food & Drink"},
      {"value":"goods-retail","label":"Goods & Retail"},
      {"value":"health-wellness","label":"Health & Wellness"},
      {"value":"home-garden","label":"Home & Garden"},
      {"value":"legal-financial","label":"Legal & Financial"},
      {"value":"non-profit","label":"Non-Profit"},
      {"value":"professional-services","label":"Professional Services"},
      {"value":"real-estate","label":"Real Estate"},
      {"value":"technical-services","label":"Technical Services"},
      {"value":"travel","label":"Travel"},
  	  {"value":"venue","label":"Venue"}]
}[/cred_generic_field]

If you were to use the default code for the form then all the categories will show up.

3) Once published the member is added to the directory, however the member profile page is not created.

Could you let me know which directory you are referring to ?

Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.