Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Allow members to edit their member profile

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The issue here is that the user wanted to have their customer's edit their own content on the frontend.

Solution:

This can be done by creating a frontend edit form and following the instructions in the link below.
https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/publish-content-from-the-front-end/forms-for-editing/

This support ticket is created 5 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 62 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by laurieB 5 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 11.16.38 AM.png

I am trying to: I have created a post form that members enter their member profile information after creating their user profile. The view to display the results is created in Elementor as a single post type.

I need members to be able to edit their profile information.

I have duplicated the form and changed the settings to edit existing content, and inserted the form view and also tried the shortcode. They do not have access to the dashboard, can they edit the form on the front end view page somehow?

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link and when you click the link I tried this also: hidden link

I expected to see: I expected to see the edit form page

Instead, I saw an error stating the Form type and post type do not match

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Usually this happens when the edit form is trying to edit a page that is not the same post type.

I tried logging in to check on this for you but it seems that the credentials aren't working.

Could you check on this and let me know.

Thanks,
Shane

I'm sorry, I have updated. Should be all set.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Laurie,

Thank you I was able to log in.

So I think the form is trying to Edit the Page that you add it to rather than the actual user's profile.

Take a look at the link below, this should give you the correct way to add the edit form to your site.
https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/publish-content-from-the-front-end/forms-for-editing/

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Thank you.

I did reference the document you shared. However where do I put the edit link? I'm not using a content template, or a toolset view for the member profile page.

I have tried to use the edit post link as a link on the Elementor Single Post Template, but there is no content template for it to reference.

I have tried to duplicate the post form original and set to edit, keeping all the fields in place. I then duplicated the Elementor page that shows the toolset form view and changed to the edit post form, which resulted in the error I mentioned prior.

My thought is I should be able to show the toolset view "edit member profile post form" on the Elementor page just like I wold the original form. Is that possible?

Shane
Supporter

Hi Laurie,

In order for it to work correctly you will need to add the form to a content template.

Then add the edit link to the page where the user can view their profile.

Perhaps you are still using the default edit link. You need to search for the Edit Post Link shortcode when you click the Fields and Views button.

Please let me know if this is clear or if some assistance is needed to get this up and running.

Thanks,
Shane

screencapture-membership-eyeprosper-member-profile-2019-01-04-16_31_01.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 4.29.39 PM.png

Hi Shane,

I created a content template as directed it's called "Edit Member Profile"

I inserted the shortcode into a text field on the Elementor Single Post template (see screencapture) The label shows up, however goes no where when you click on it, to actually edit anything.

Where should it go?

I'm also attaching a Screen capture of the post form view. New members will fill this out, however existing members that I moved over to the new site need to update their info.

This site goes live on Monday. I need members to be able to log in and update their information as we changed the questions for their profile.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Laurie,

In order to resolve this issue correctly. I would need a sample member profile or at least a link to where I can edit the member profile page.

I need to check to ensure that this is setup correctly because once it is, it should work fine.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Thank you for looking at this. I just made a full back-up.

This is a sample member profile: hidden link

This is the Elementor template for the member profile: hidden link. You can access in Elementor/my templates/single post type / member profile page.

This is the Member Profile Post Form I created: hidden link

This is a duplicate of that post form with the change to edit:hidden link

I'm available if you have further questions. Thank you for your help!
Laurie

Shane
Supporter

Hi Laurie,

I discovered that it is an incompatibility with Elementor.

The most I can do for this is to escalate it to our 2nd tier supporters and hopefully our development team can fix this one.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Thank you for trying. I would appreciate 2nd tier supporter help. It's the last piece before I can hand this off the site to the client.

Laurie

Shane
Supporter

Hi Laurie,

I've escalated this to our 2nd tier supporters for further checks.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Laurie,

This should be working now.

What was needed was a post content widget as our views content templates are hooked into the Post Content.

SO once I added it, the form starts showing.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

That's fantastic! I was able to edit a member profile. What link/shortcode can I add to the members area (that is where they need to access to change) so they can link their profile to change it?

Thank you so much!
laurie

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.