Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Advice regarding building my website structure.

This support ticket is created 3 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by tomerH 3 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Hi Luo

I want to ask you for an advice regarding building my website structure.

I build stock discovery platform, where you'll be able to search for stocks lists by categories & tags

The basic flow in the website is:
Search for a category (renewable energy) > Renewable energy stocks list page > specific stock post

In details:
1. My homepage will be mainly search box to search for a category, sub-categories and tag (for example: you choose renewable energy)
2. Then you move to the renewable energy page (for example: hidden link). There you'll be able to search for the relevant sub-categories and tags that are relevant only for renewable energy category). You can choose a specific stock there and we you click it you move to the stock post (for example: hidden link)
3. In the stock post you can click in the categories section on other categories/tags and to move to the relevant page (for example you can click there on "power generation" sub-cagetory" and move to the power generation page (hidden link)

In order for me to do that, when I create a new stock type for (for example: "stock lists") - should I choose "create content template" or "create archive"?

I create this flow for SEO reasons (for example if someone will click "renewable energy stocks" on google I want my renewable energy stocks list page to appear).
I saw in toolset's course that for SEO reasons I should choose "Create archive" but I'm not sure it's relevant for my project.

Thanks.

Hello,

Yes, it is possible with Toolset plugins.

For example:
1) Create a taxonomy view "Sub stock categories":
hidden link
- Query terms of taxonomy "Stock Categories"
- Filter by:
Select taxonomy terms whose parent is the current taxonomy archive.
- In view's loop, display term link

2) create a Toolset WordPress Archive for taxonomy "stock-category":
hidden link
- setup custom search form, filter by "Stock Tags"

See the result here:
hidden link
Please check if it is what you want.

More help:
https://toolset.com/course-lesson/creating-a-custom-search/

Hi Luo,

Please leave this thread open. There are some issues but We are in holiday time here so I'll write you next week.
Thanks

OK, I have marked this thread as waiting for feedback status, please update here if you need more assistance for it. thanks

I'm on it now. Will write you soon (I write this to leave the thread open). Thanks.

Results 1.0.PNG
homepage 1.1.PNG
homepage 1.0.PNG

Hi,
Regarding the website structure - I meant structure similar to hidden link
Attached wireframe how I want this in my website
Is this possible?

Regarding the archive page you created - I'm working on it..
Thanks.

The homepage - Similar to this toolset showcase: hidden link

Yes, it is possible, you can create two post views:
1) Home page view
- Query stock posts
- Setup search form, and filter by category

2) Search result view
- Query stock posts
- Setup search form, and filter by: category(same URL parameter as "Home page view") and other fields

In the home page, display only the custom search form of "Home page view", after user submit the search form, redirect him to the result page, and display the "Search result view".

More help:
https://toolset.com/course-lesson/creating-a-custom-search/

Ok, I did that.

I want to use elementor to design the homepage and to insert the view to it. What is the best approach to do that?
I tried to learn from your video here here: hidden link
but you changed the functions. I don't have "grid" button (to design the search buttons) in the "search and pagination" in the edit view section and I don't have the "custom search" option on elementor under the view section

In the results page (hidden link) - I want to eliminate the search "all". I don't want the user to see all the database, only the chosen category. How can I solve this?

3. In the results page - How can I add headline to each field in the table (using " views", not blocks)

Thanks

Also regarding the 1st question, if i want to try to design the homepage without elementor - how can I design the view from the view section - not from the blocks (in the blocks I don't have custom search settings to redirect to the results page)

Please I want to organize the first question:

A. I'm currently try to build everything with gotenberg and without elementor. I see that Toolset prefers this way so lets see how it goes. So ignore the question about elementor.

B. I want to design the search box area: hidden link
I cannot do it the normal way as the video tutorials show because I'm using views to build the search box and not through blocks (because there is no "custom search setting" option to redirect the results to a different results page).
Under edit view I tried using "grid" in the "search and pagination" but it didn't work (or I do it the wrong way)

What is the solution to design it?

Thanks

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thanks for writing back and for sharing the update.

Luo is on vacation so, I'll be following up on this ticket.

To show search form and search results separately when using the Blocks based views, you can follow these steps:

1. You'll create a new dedicated page to create and hold the Blocks based view, for example, "Search View Page".

On this page, you can create the entire view including the search form and the search results.

2. Once, the view has been created, you can insert it as an existing view on the page where you'd like to show the search form only, using the "Views" block and you'll see the "Custom Search Settings".
( example screenshot: hidden link )

3. Similarly, you'll be able to insert the same view as an existing view, on the page where you'd like to show the view's search results.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

Hi,
Ok. I did what you said.

The problem is that when you select a certain category in the homepage (for example select renewable energy in hidden link), you get in the results page all database without filtering (hidden link).

I was able to get the correct filtered data by adding "stock categories" taxonomy in the search field but I don't want to add this field (I don't mind to add it and hide it in the front-end if possible).

So if the user wants to pick a different stock category in the results page he'll be able to do this only from the top header

How can I solve this?

Hi,
Any update?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

query-filter-settings.png

Hi,

Thank you for waiting.

In the steps that I shared in my last message, I've suggested to use a single view and split it to show form and search results, on separate pages.

But on your website's homepage, the search form is shown from the view "Search View 1.2" ( ID: 13947 ) and the search results on the page "Results Page 1.2" are being shown using a different view "Results Page View 1.3" ( ID: 14006 ).

If a single view was used on both pages, the search form won't be showing on the search results page.

And even if you're using this second view "Results Page View 1.3", on the search results page, you don't necessarily need to add a search field filter for the taxonomy. Instead, you can include a query filter for the taxonomy, to match the taxonomy term slug passed through the "wpv-stock-category" URL parameter.
( as shown in the attached screenshot )

Note: The "wpv-stock-category" is the same URL parameter that is also used in the URL when the search form from the view "Search View 1.2" ( ID: 13947 ) is submitted.

As a result, whenever the category will be changed from the search form on the homepage or the one in the header, the results in the search results page will be updated accordingly.

regards,
Waqar

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.