Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Adding JetPack ShareThis buttons to WP Archive template view section

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The issue here is that the user is unable to add his share buttons from the Jetpack plugin to his views archive template. Even using the shortcode for this didn't work.

Solution:

The solution is to use an alternative plugin. Once such plugin is.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-social-share/screenshots/

This allows you to add your social share buttons to your view archive templates.

This support ticket is created 8 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by frankN-3 8 years ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

I'm trying to add JetPack Share This buttons to each individual item on a created WP Archive inside the template view. I've tried numerous ways with no success. Not sure how to proceed

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Frank,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

What you can do is to try using the plugin below and add the shortcode to your archive template.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/jetpack-sharing-butttons-shortcode/

This should allow you to have the share buttons on each page in the archive.

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks
Shane

Thanks. Tried that previously with strange results.

Here is the page hidden link

Here's more detail. In JetPack Share setting are checked for, organizers,posts,archives. If both post and archive are not checked NO share buttons show on the archive page at all, including with the shortcode.

If they are checked I don't need the short code and it displays the share buttons twice. One instance comes from the content excerpt and is inside the template HOWEVER the shared buttons are displayed again, one per item outside of the template.

If I add the shortcode it displays twice in the template and once outside, so three per item.

Tried checking unchecking organizer but that doesn't effect the archive page I'm working on.

I can forward you credentials. Thanks

This is the template

<article style="top: 0px;" id="post-[wpv-post-id]" class="post-[wpv-post-id] post type-post status-publish format-band has-post-thumbnail hentry post-ajax-element blog-ajax-style-1 col-md-4 col-sm-6 col-xs-6" itemscope="" itemtype="hidden link">
<div class="post-ajax-border">
<div class="post-ajax-content">
<div class="post-img">[wpv-post-featured-image size=”small”]
<div class="post-tip">
<div class="bg"></div>
<a href="[wpv-post-url]">
<div class="link left-link"><i class="big-icon-link"></div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div class="post-ajax-information">
<div class="post-mata-container">
<div class="post-meta-content" style="margin-left:2px">
<h4 class="entry-title" itemprop="name"><a href="[wpv-post-url]" itemprop="url">[wpv-post-title]</a></h4>
</div>
<div class="genreLink">[wpv-post-taxonomy type="genre" separator="| " format="link" show="name" order="asc"]</div>
</div>
</div>
<div class="entry-summary" itemprop="articleSection">[wpv-post-excerpt length="150" count="char" more=" - ..."]</div>
<a class="more-link" href="[wpv-post-url]">Read More</a> </div>
</article>
</code

Shane
Supporter

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the additional information.

Would it be possible for you to provide me with admin access to the website so I can have a look at this issue ?

The private field will be enabled for your next response.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Frank,

I'm not able to identify the issue but it seems that the Jetpack social share is being confused as to where it should add the share icons.

The only way I can see to resolve this is to use an alternative plugin that offers social sharing and provides a shortcode that you can add to the archive.

Maybe you can have a look into this plugin below.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-social-share/screenshots/

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

Thanks Shane. That plugin did the trick.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.