Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Adding custom fields to a product page (woocommerce)

This support ticket is created 4 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 4 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I'm setting up a woocommerce shop. It's in the food industry and I want to have custom fields added to the product page template. The shop will be in 2 languages (using WPML). There will be 2 wysisyg type custom fields (with the HTML editor of WordPress) and some other ones that might just number (like just a value). We will be using Divi for the theme.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

I have created 2 demo site, all of them are a mess when trying to display the output and translating. Can you give me a short procedure on how to set up this up? It's really simple I know, but I must be doing something wrong in the setup because it's not working, either the custom fields aren't translated or are not displayed properly.

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Frederic,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Does the custom fields show up normally on the frontend when viewed in the original language?

Or is it when you're looking on the translated version does it not show the custom fields.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Shane

The problem I'm having right now is that the website is using english as main language and french as 2nd language.

If I edit the english version of the custom field, it erase the content of the custom field on the french version, but if I edit french first, english is ok ... still most people will edit english first and then french will be erased everytime ... I want both version of the customfield to be independant.

I already had a ticket that was escalated to WPML for this, but since It's something very simple, I was thinking maybe the origin of the problem is on how I have setup WordPress / Toolset / wpml for what I want to achieve, do you have a quick procedure I should follow ?

Thanks

Shane
Supporter

Hi Frederic,

I can have a look but it could be a WPML issue.

Would you mind allowing me to have access to the site and a post that I can check for this ?

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Frederic,

Thank you for the credentials.

I've checked on this for you and its definitely a WPML issue.

They are better equipped to debug translation issues so I would recommend continuing to follow up in the WPML forums.

Thanks,
Shane

Yes it is, you are right, but I cannot wait for their debugging since they can't give an exact ETA ...

Could you guide me in setting up a new wordpress dev site with the basic theme, toolset, woocommerce and wpml with 1 custom field inserted in the product template that is being displayed on the frontend ?

Shane
Supporter

Hi Frederic,

I can guide you on how to setup this, however i suspect the same issue will occur when you introduce WPML to translate the custom field.

To get this clear even if the field is blank you would still want to translate it correct? Just to have the setup ready for when WPML fixes the issue ?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Shane

Screenshot_3.png

Ok, so I have created a new, fresh install of WordPress (using french as the main language). I have also installed woocommerce and Types. Nothing else.

Let me send you a username/password

I have also created a test product, no custom field yet

hidden link

This is the custom fields I would like to add on my products pages : (see attachment)

- WYSIWYG Type Custom Field 1 (Called "Custom Description 1")
- WYSIWYG Type Custom Field 1 (Called "Custom Description 2")
- WYSIWYG Type Custom Field 2 (Called "Suggested Use")

- Numeric Value + Title Type Custom Field 3 (Called "Nutritional Value 1")
ex : 45g of proteins (quantity and name of value "fiver" can change)

- Numeric Value + Title Type Custom Field 3 (Called "Nutritional Value 2")
ex : 5g of sugar (quantity and name of value "fiver" can change)

- Numeric Value + Title Type Custom Field 3 (Called "Nutritional Value 3")
ex : 6g of glutten (quantity and name of value "fiver" can change)

- Numeric Value + Title Type Custom Field 3 (Called "Nutritional Value 4")
ex : 10g of fiber (quantity and name of value "fiver" can change)

Shane
Supporter

Hi Frederic,

Thank you for the explanation.

However our extensive guide here should be able to help you with this process.
https://toolset.com/learn/create-an-ecommerce-wordpress-site/#woocommerce-tutorial-contents

Particularly you can have a look at both of these.
https://toolset.com/learn/create-an-ecommerce-wordpress-site/#step-5

https://toolset.com/learn/create-an-ecommerce-wordpress-site/#step-6

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.