Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Add link on multi upload file field saved(download or open in new tab)

This support ticket is created 3 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 3 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
toolsetlink.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?
-I want to add a download/view link on each filename's uploaded file using the multi upload form (user form), those are shown after saving the form, so would be glad if we can add link to those (download/view)

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Ben,

Thank you for getting in touch.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve. Can you provide a bit more clarity for me ?

Is it that you want to have the ability to download the files from the form itself ?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane

Thanks a lot for the reply and yes sure.

We want to be able to do these things:

1. Upload a file (using Add new > Save)
2. See the file name displayed on the page
3. Delete the file
4. Open / download the file (e.g. by clicking on the displayed file name)

We've already managed to achieve items 1, 2 and 3 - but we're struggling with how to achieve 4.

Does that make sense?

Ben

Shane
Supporter

Hi Ben,

Based on what I see you're doing you are already achieving the following

1. Upload a file (using Add new > Save)

2. See the file name displayed on the page

3. Delete the file

However this one you are not able to do
4. Open / download the file (e.g. by clicking on the displayed file name)

This is because the file is uploaded after the form is submitted. Also not sure why you would want to preview the same file that you've just uploaded from the computer. You can preview the file directly from the computer.

In a case where you need to view the files of another post you can just go to the post on the backend and edit it so that you can see the file url.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane

To explain the context further, the form is being displayed on a front-end My Profile page for each logged-in user of a membership site and we'd like users to be able to attach / delete / view these files on the page themselves. They won't have access to the backend, and we want them to store these files on the website not just on their computer.

Think of it as being very similar to the way that users can upload a photo of themselves to their profile page on a website, then view the image on the front-end page - not just in the backend or on their computer.

Is what I'm asking for not possible, or is it just that you weren't clear enough on the use case?

Thanks

Ben

Shane
Supporter

Hi ben,

What you need then is a my account page for the users.

Where they can view all the items they have uploaded.

https://toolset.com/course-lesson/creating-a-my-account-page/
Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane

We already created a My Account page for users and that's what the screenshot is from in the original query.

I checked the link you gave but I still can't see anything in there which solves the question we're asking about i.e. how to allow users to view / download these uploaded files directly from the page, as well as just dragging / deleting / adding new files.

Could you be more specific with how to solve (if possible) the exact issue I'm asking about, or where the answer is in the help pages please?

Thanks again

Ben

Hi, Shane is unavailable this week so I'm checking on his outstanding tickets. I hope that's okay.

I checked the link you gave but I still can't see anything in there which solves the question we're asking about i.e. how to allow users to view / download these uploaded files directly from the page, as well as just dragging / deleting / adding new files.
In a repeating file upload field in Forms, there is no built-in way to allow downloading the files that have been uploaded to that field, from within the output of the Form itself. The "template" that generates these individual file management UIs after upload is not manageable in any customizable way, and the option to include a download link in the output does not exist.

In a new post Form, it seems it would be redundant to include a download link for each file - the User is uploading those files in this Form, so they have access to them locally somewhere already. If they want to see the file they just uploaded, they can open the file from whatever local device they are using to access the new post Form.

In an edit Form, I can better see the need to include some type of link to download and view the existing files, but that isn't a built-in option in Forms file fields. Instead, you could use a Types field shortcode elsewhere in the edit Form to display download links for the existing files already uploaded to the file field. That output would not include links to download any new files they upload during the edit post process, only the files that existed in the post before the post was edited. Again, the User already has access to any new files locally, so it would seem to be redundant to download that file again.

Images are a bit different, as an image field includes a preview of the image being uploaded. But this case is specifically about the file field type, which could allow the upload of various file types. Previews of images uploaded in a file field are not provided.

Let me know if I've misunderstood what you want to accomplish.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.