Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Access Not Directing Restricted User to 404 Page

This support ticket is created 7 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 38 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 6 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi, I wanted to give you a status update. I've been in communication with our 2nd tier supporters to try to get this resolved, and they have been in communication with our developers to relay the details. As it stands right now, the developers believe the issue has been addressed in the next version of Access that will be released. However, I've tested this fix using their patched code and it doesn't seem to completely resolve the issue for me. After some back-and-forth with supporters and developers, it seems that there has been some misunderstanding about the scope of the error. While the fix they have applied does remove the "No layout applied..." message, it does not seem to apply the proper Layout to the /history page for guests. Instead it simply shows "No items found" without the 404 Layout applied.

I've explained to them again the details of why I don't think the fix is complete, and I've provided more detailed information about what I would expect to happen. I'm currently waiting to get a more thorough explanation from them, and as soon as I hear something more I will update you here. Sorry for the delay in resolution, but I wasn't ready to provide the fix to you as I had received it yet. I wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten you or let this issue slide, and I will continue to be in touch.

Good Morning Christian... Thank you for being so detailed, and not letting this bug slide. In truth I have been having some real challenges as it pertains to using Toolset Access. Beda may be assigning another thread to you that this bug came up in. I have some concerns that the higher-ups are not seeing this as a bug as well. Here is a link to that thread and this bug is mentioned around todays date.
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/important-need-senior-level-assistance/

Thank you again for staying on top of this. Want to use Toolset Access as part of a professional project management system, just need to get past these pain points.

Kind Regards,
Dave

Okay after some back and forth I see the problem in my own setup, and why I was only seeing "No items found" without a Layout applied when viewing the /history page as a guest. When you assign a static blog page, the page becomes treated as an archive by Access and Layouts. This means the standard Page Access settings no longer apply here, and the Layouts for Pages no longer apply.

I had not assigned a Layout to the "Blog" archive, so unauthorized users were shown a page without a Layout applied. Once I made that change in Layouts, my page was displayed as I expected with the message "No items found". So it appears to me that this bug has been fixed in the next version of Access.

Here is the process I followed:
1. Add a static Page for Front page
2. Apply a random Layout to that Page
3. Set access Rules for Page and choose to display a 404 Layout instead, when guests have no read permission.

==> All allowed users can see the allowed layout
==> All non-allowed users see 404 layout

1. Add a static Page for Blog page
2. Apply a random Layout to that Page
3. Set access Rules for Page and choose to display a 404 Layout instead, when guests have no read permission.

==> All allowed users see the allowed layout
==> All non-allowed users see:
if the Layout applied to the Page does NOT hold an Archive cell ==> the allowed Layout
if the Layout applied to the Page does hold an Archive Cell ==> "no items found"
But you must set the POST type as controlled by access (otherwise you will see the posts)

This is expected because the page assigned to BLOG is no longer a page. As such, all rules set in Access are ignored, as for pages you cannot set archive rules, only SINGLE post rules.

Hi Christian... Thank you for the update and your detailed notes.

When do you expect the new version of Access with the bug fix to be released?

Also is this new version bug fix's only or is there any chance it will include some of the much needed functionality that is being discussed in my other thread?
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/important-need-senior-level-assistance/

Kind Regards,
Dave

I think it should be released quite soon given the type of documentation I've received, but I'm not able to give you an exact timeline or changelog yet.

Hello, a quick update to let you know that Access 2.4 has been officially released, along with several other Toolset plugin updates. When you have time, please backup your site, update to the latest versions, clear your browser cache, log out and log back in to your site. Then confirm that the issue was resolved satisfactorily.

Hi Christian... I made all the updates and at first glance the issue does not seem to be present anymore. I will be doing other related work on the beta site this week and will keep an eye out to see that this issue is truly resolved.

Kind Regards,
Dave

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for keeping Christian posted.

He is currently out on holidays today but will respond as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Shane

Thanks for the update Dave. This ticket will remain open for 30 days pending your future updates.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.