Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Access giving editor some admin privileges.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

When access is activated it's giving editor role some admin privileges as well as showing some admin menus (though non functioning) to authors.

Solution:

I suggest you check as I mentioned above, like these:

1) Dashboard-> Toolset-> Access control -> Custom roles
Enable "Advanced mode"

2) Find and edit user role "Editor", in section "General capabilities", make sure you have disabled the option "manage_options". It can conduct the problem you mentioned above, and it is not enabled by default in a fresh wordpress installation, unless you setup it manually.

Relevant Documentation:

This support ticket is created 5 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by ScottM9386 5 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author
access-deactivated.JPG
access enabled.JPG

Hi,

very strange behavior. when access is activated it's giving editor role some admin privileges as well as showing some admin menus (though non functioning) to authors.
it's happening on one of my subsites, but OK on main site (haven't checked on other sub-site)
attached are 2 screen shots showing portion of menu, one shows what editor sees when access de-activated, and the other what they see when access activated.

thanks,
Scott.

Dear Scott,

I assume we are talking about the "setting" menu + other two items (WP eStore + ALL Import) in your screenshot:
hidden link

Please check these:
Enable "Advanced mode"
2) Find and edit user role "Editor"
disable those Custom capabilities from WP eStore + ALL Import plugin, and you can contact their support/author for the specific capabilities slug

Hi Lou,

there is something wrong with access.
In the screenshot:
hidden link

the role in the screenshot is editor.

1. PLEASE observe that TOOLSET is also there in the screenshot - the editor has access to many parts of toolset - that shouldn't be - correct?
2. WP estore and wp all import is for ADMINS only, and indeed when I deactivate access it behaves correctly (as I said in my post)
3. in access, the editor role is set to standard capabilities - I never changed it - "Custom capabilities" were never created.

Please help me fix this.

Thanks,

Scott.

Dear Scott,

Since I don't have a copy of WP eStore plugin in my localhost, I have tested the wp all import plugi, but there isn't similar problem in my localhost, the editor can not see those menu items by default.

I suggest you check as I mentioned above, like these:
Enable "Advanced mode"
2) Find and edit user role "Editor", in section "General capabilities", make sure you have disabled the option "manage_options". It can conduct the problem you mentioned above, and it is not enabled by default in a fresh wordpress installation, unless you setup it manually.

If the problem still persists, please try these:
1) In case it is a compatibility problem, please deactivate other plugins, and switch to wordpress default theme 2017, and test again

2) If the problem still persists, please provide database dump file(ZIP file) of your website, also point out the problem page URL and view URL, I need to test and debug it in my localhost, thanks
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.