Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Access| Automated handling: 20 different user roles & 3 levels of subscription

This support ticket is created 5 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 5 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I am planning to have 20 different user types. I will be building 20 different landing pages based on their role in the value chain and their area of function and interest. | So far so good. I can do that with custom post types and access.

Next, I plan to have 3 levels of membership. Free, Premium and Ultimate. I plan to have around 10 different sections of the site. Of which free members get access to 4. Premium get access to 7. Ultimate get access to all 10.

Now since freemium is the way to go, when most of the users sign up, they will first opt for the free version. As and when they appreciate the content and get interested in the premium or ultimate features they will upgrade.

a) Will the WooCommerce, Toolset Access integration mean, upon paying they automatically get access to more sections of the site?

b) Since, I am creating 20 different user roles already even within the free section, so that I can give them access to different landing pages, will I have to create 20x3 that is 60 user role types (for eg 1, 1a, 1b | 2, 2a, 2b | 3, 3a,3c etc)?

While at that. Here is an addendum to that question.

c) Is it possible to display different registration forms for different User Roles using access?

d) Using Access will it be possible to let users chose their own role from a list authorized by us? during the registration process?

Thank You

Hello, ? Adding some more questions to the same query chain

I am reading up more on Forms. And I come across this (which I am trying to understand)
Link is https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/cred-user-forms/
And the part I am trying to figure is this. "Toolset forms start blank, and you need to add fields to them. The easiest way to add them is by using the Auto-Generate User Form button. The auto-generation will create a complete form, with all the fields that belong to the user (different user roles may have different fields)."

I want the users to select the role they want, by filling this form.

So, while different user roles may have different fields, that would only happen after they fill the first registration form.

What I am trying to achieve is

• User Clicks Sign Up Now
  • User Sees a short form with Name, Email, Password & A Radio buttons options to choose the role
  • User fills the fields, selects the radio button & clicks submit
  • User is Registered and at the same time, redirected to a custom page with the remaining lengthy form that has specific fields as per user selected role
  • Eventually Want to Create a custom profile single* page or content template that acts as a very meticulously detailed profile very specific to function area of the person

Appreciate your help, in advance. Thank You

a) Will the WooCommerce, Toolset Access integration mean, upon paying they automatically get access to more sections of the site?
Yes, if you use Access to restrict areas of the site based on User Role, then use WooCommerce and Forms Commerce to modify the User's Role after a specific purchase, then the User's restrictions will be automatically adjusted after payment.

b) Since, I am creating 20 different user roles already even within the free section, so that I can give them access to different landing pages, will I have to create 20x3 that is 60 user role types (for eg 1, 1a, 1b | 2, 2a, 2b | 3, 3a,3c etc)?
It depends on your requirements. If role 1a, 2a, 3a, 4a, etc. have different restrictions on the site, then separate roles are necessary. If role 1a, 2a, 3a, 4a etc. all have the same restrictions on the site, then there is no reason to create separate roles.

c) Is it possible to display different registration forms for different User Roles using access?
Yes, you can create multiple registration Forms and place them on different Landing Pages. Each Form can be set to create new Users with a specific User Role.

d) Using Access will it be possible to let users chose their own role from a list authorized by us? during the registration process?
Yes, this is possible with a bit of custom code and a generic field. A few reference tickets discuss some options:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/edit-users-role-by-administrator-or-editor/
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/need-to-change-roles-via-creds-there-is-no-role-field-in-toolset-cred/
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/create-two-roles/
Create a new ticket when you are ready to start that task if you need assistance.

Eventually Want to Create a custom profile single* page or content template that acts as a very meticulously detailed profile very specific to function area of the person
One bit of advice: Toolset Views does not support a custom search for Users. In other words, if you want your site Visitors to be able to search for other Users by filtering with these custom fields, that is not currently possible. To get around that problem, we have a document here that describes how to use a proxy post type to contain all the search fields: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-create-custom-searches-and-relationships-for-users/
This is important because your two-step Form process may require 1 User Form and 1 custom post Form if you want to enable custom search filters for these custom fields.

Hi Christian. Thank you very much for the clear answers and insight. I really appreciate the support at toolset which is really enabling its users. Will set things up and revert once, its done. I might need further guidance in case it gets stuck.

Okay that sounds good. I will stand by for your reply. There is no need to reply right now. The ticket will remain open for 30 days.

Hi I am working on this. Will need help. But posting a message because i got a mail from the clean up bot that If it did not see a new message it would mark this as closed.

Okay sure, let me know when you are ready to continue.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.