Skip Navigation

[Resolved] 414 Request-URI Too Large

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 8 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 8:00 – 17:00 8:00 – 17:00 8:00 – 17:00 8:00 – 17:00 8:00 – 17:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

This topic contains 37 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Adriano 7 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Adriano.

Author

I am trying to:

Fix the problem that I am seeing.

414 Request-URI Too Large

I visited this URL:
hidden link

I expected to see:
I don't expect to see the "414 Request-URI Too Large" error and I expect to see no restriction and the user should be able to continue using the filter as long as they want.

Instead, I got:
414 Request-URI Too Large.

Here's how you can duplicated the error page:
1. visit: hidden link
2. select the first "state" and hit submit from the filter.
3. repeat step 2 (by selecting a new state til you get to the closer to the last state) then you should be able to see the 414 error. You will have to do this for a while until the URL at the top get so long that it brings up a blank page that saids, 414 Request-URI Too Large".

Thank you for contacting us here in the Support Forum

While I do know what you mean, and see the issue, I can't reproduce it.
How many times do I have to click until reaching a 2048 or 4096 character (unless Windows, if I'm right, 250 chars) long URL and trigger a 414 Request-URI Too Large?

I can perfectly understand this will happen sooner or later, as Views is just adding parameters to the URL instead of replacing them

You look up a state and then again, and your URL looks like "&doctor-location-etc[etc]&doctor-location, instead of just one parameter for the location and replacing it

I will report this but it would be very great to have a working example to provide where I can show how to trigger the 414

Please could you provide me the additional Infos?

Thank you for your patience.

Hi Beda,

I reproduced the problem on this video as a working sample.

hidden link

I use Windows 7 Professional and Chrome. I don't know if you need this info but I figured it might be some what helpful.

Thank you for trying.

George

Thanks for the Details

Yes, i was able to reproduce this too this time.

It is a URL with 8339 characters and that is not expected as far I can tell.

Can I have a look at your Views Settings?

I would need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site
- preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible -
in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website ❌

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de- and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site.
This is also a reason the backup is really important

I will need to test this with a older Views Version too.

✙ Please add the Links to the Views Edit Screen, the Page/Post where you insert the View form and the corresponding Front End Page/Screen

Hello George

I do hope all is well with your family and yourself.
My best wishes go to you in this sense.

Regarding the troubleshooting, a cloned site of course would be great.
12/11 (assume this is 12th December as we use it in Europe), is good for me, also later or sooner.

Please acknowledge that from 24th on I will be on vacation for a while, but the Support will not be interrupted, just another Colleague will be your partner in this issue.

I will enable the private answer, which you can use for the details-
Please note, that if you reply, and do not use the Private answer, your NEXT reply is not anymore private.

In that case, please ask the Supporter to re-enable the private answer to ensure full privacy of your Post.

Thank you for your collaboration and I hope all is going well with you and your family.

Thanks for the Details

Unfortunately the Username seems false:

ERROR: Invalid username. Lost your password?

Could you check the access details?

Also, I see you are on WP Engine.

Could you quickly contact them and ask if any restrictions on Request URI's are set?

WPEngine is a powerful hosting engine that lets you customize almost anything, it could be possible this is the issue here.

Please don't hesitate to inform me in case the issue persists

Hi Beda,

I've spoke to a WP Engine rep.

They do have a restriction on the characters allowed on the URL. It is 4098 characters long. They do not advise setting that number to no limit and they said they cannot set to no limit. Another point they raised is that from an SEO perspective, they recommend a 2000 limit on character as best practice as they also mentioned any character reached beyond would be at risk of being penalized by Google or other search engines. Do you know if this is true? And if so, should be consider another approach other than setting it to a higher limit of character with WP Engine?

I reset the password and login. You can use the same as before and it should let you log in. What happened was I set the password/username and clone the latest version of the site afterwards, so I think that overrode the username/password I set initially. I apologize for this.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

George

Yes, this could be the problem why this is not widely noticed or happening.

Obviously I won't be able to reproduce this locally as I don't have restrictions on this Local Server.

But I need to escalate it so the DEV can look int this, as I think it is generally to avoid such long requests.

Please expect my informations here in the forum.

Hello,

I’m Adriano, Toolset support lead and I have been escalated to this thread. I’ll give my best to help you to achieve your needs through Toolset components.

I can see two issues at a first glance:

1. Missing URL arguments: wpv_column_sort_id, wpv_column_sort_dir, wpv_view_count and wpv_filter_submit

Where are them? They are default Views arguments and should be visible there.

2. %5B%5D being added on each URL argument and being increased on each submission: doctor-region%5B%5D=

I've looked your plugins but I couldn't see any plugin that may causing those issues, anyway could you deactivate them all to see if we have any compatibility issue?

Also, are you using any mechanism to change the URL? Maybe through any WPEngine settings or htaccess.

Any info would be of great help.

BTW, the Views debugger has been enabled to help us to work on this issue. That can be easily deactivated in Views > Settings > Development tab.

I still need to work on this issue. Please don't remove this from the thread yet. I have been side tracked with other things in my business. I'll get back to working on this soon. Thanks.

Sure, I'm just replying here to keep this alive 😉

Hi Adriano,

Please continue to keep this alive. I am lacking time to handle this right now. Thank you!

George

Any news? Shall we close this thread?

My apologize. I still need more time and I don't have the resources yet to work on this right now... Thank you for your patience. Can we continue to keep this open?

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.