Skip Navigation

[Resuelto] Latest Views update prevents post masonry grid from appearing

This support ticket is created hace 4 años. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Etiquetado: 

This topic contains 16 respuestas, has 2 mensajes.

Last updated by Eric hace 3 años, 12 meses.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Autor

My client is using the Enfold theme. I installed Types and Views in order to add custom post types, and create some views. The latest version of Views is somehow conflicting with the display of the theme's masonry post grid on a specific page. I'd like to send you the URL privately.

Hi, I'll be glad to take a closer look. Can you share the URL of the page where the masonry grid is implemented? All URLs you share in a forum post will be obstructed from other Users by default, for your privacy. Only you and the support staff have access to those URLs. If you want to make a URL public you must add the "@" symbol before the URL:

@hidden link

Otherwise, other Users will see hidden link instead of the URL.

Hi Christian,

Below is the URL on the staging site. You'll see it's essentially blank except for the site header. hidden link

Here's the URL to the same page on the production site:
hidden link

The staging site is using version Types 3.3.10 and Views 3.1.2
The production site is using Types 3.3.10 and Views 2.9.3

I noticed the problem after updating Views on the production site. I ended up having to restore from a backup to go back to 2.9.3.

If I deactivate Views on the staging site, the masonry grid shows up on the /projects page.

Thanks for investigating!
Eric

Hi, just a quick update to let you know I didn't quite finish working on this today. I was able to make a clone of the page to run some additional tests: hidden link
You can see that as soon as I remove the Masonry element, the page header and search filters are displayed on the front-end. So there's something going on with the Masonry element specifically, it seems, in relation to Views 3+. That doesn't surprise me, since there were lots of updates for Toolset Blocks added in v 3...including a grid block with masonry display. I'll continue investigating tomorrow and give you some additional feedback at that time.

I had some more time today to tinker around with this and I was able to make the masonry grid appear as expected after making two changes:
1. Add a limit of 20 posts to be displayed in the masonry grid
2. Disable the search and filter shortcodes.

So then I reactivated the search and filter shortcodes and set the limit in the masonry grid to be 1 post. No results in this scenario. Then I looked through the Search and Filter plugin settings and found a setting for maximum number of results per page. It was set at 999, so I brought that number down to 20 like the masonry grid, and reactivated the search and filter shortcodes. This time it works, with both limits set at 20 posts. I was able to increase that to 27 in both places, but at 28 it breaks again. So it doesn't seem to be completely broken, just having problems beyond a specific number of posts. That could indicate a memory issue, but I still have a few more tests to run. I will keep you posted.

Wow! Thank you so much. Awesome support!!

Okay another update, I was able to create a similar setup in my local environment by installing the S&F Pro plugin and adding some fake content. I set up a page with a Masonry grid using the Enfold theme. Unfortunately I was not able to reproduce the problem, even after including up to 300 posts per page....the results appear in each case as expected. So there could be a configuration difference in our setups that I have overlooked, or a server-side difference responsible for different behavior. Could you access server logs to see if any errors are generated on the backend of your staging site? If you're not familiar with server logs, I can show you how to temporarily activate one.

Go in your wp-config.php file and look for

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Then add these lines, just after the WP_DEBUG line:

define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );
define('WP_DISABLE_FATAL_ERROR_HANDLER',true);

Reload the page with the missing masonry grid. If any backend errors are thrown, this should create an error_log.txt file in your site's root directory. Please open that file in a text editor, copy its contents and include them in your next reply. Once that is done, you can revert the changes you made to wp-config.php and delete the log file from your server.

Hello, I received the automated “cleanup” email... please don’t close this ticket until I’ve had a chance to work on this next week. Thanks so much!
Eric

I'll hold it open for you and stand by for your update.

Hi, checking in to see if you have any updates on this one.

Hi Christian,

I added the coded to wp-config.php, and increased the number of posts to display to 100 in both the masonry grid setting and the Search and Filter setting. I reloaded the Projects page and no posts were visible. I checked the root for the error_log.txt file, but it's not there.

Do you want SFTP access?

In the meantime I'm going to check with my client to see if we can just keep the post limit to 25 and let the "Load More" button do its job.

Thanks,
Eric

Yes please provide FTP credentials in the private reply fields here.

I keep getting a timeout when I try to reach this SFTP server. I'll try again later today, unless you're aware of a problem?

I just logged in successfully. Port Number is : 2222 That might help.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.