Skip Navigation

[Gelöst] Where to place custom CSS?

This support ticket is created vor 7 Jahre, 7 Monate. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 4 Antworten, has 2 Stimmen.

Last updated by julieP vor 7 Jahre, 7 Monate.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author
Artikel

I'm using Toolset Starter Child theme and Layouts.

I'm a little confused about where I should put custom CSS rules. There seems to be a choice of 3 places:-

1. under Appearance >Customize>Custom CSS
2. under Appearance>Editor>style.css
3. under Toolset>Layouts CSS

Could you clarify please?

Many thanks

Dear julie,

The second choice (style.css), it is a hard-code method, it will modify the theme files,
The first choice(Custom CSS), the setting is saved with your theme
The third choice (Layouts CSS), the setting is saved with Layout plugin

All of them will take effect on your website.

so are there any 'rules' or best practices in terms of which is the preferred location? Does it depend on the type of custom CSS or the area the code is controlling? Does the use of any of these locations slow the site down at all?

Many thanks

Q1) so are there any 'rules' or best practices in terms of which is the preferred location?
There isn't the best practice, it depends on yourself, for example:
if your custom CSS codes will only take effect on the layouts, I suggest you use layouts CSS,

Q2) Does it depend on the type of custom CSS or the area the code is controlling?
Yes, it does

Q3) Does the use of any of these locations slow the site down at all?
All three choices should not slow your website down, but the second choice (style.css) which is hard coded in the theme file, it should not do anything to slow down.

Thank you for clarifying

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.