Skip Navigation

[Gelöst] Update on support of REST API?

This support ticket is created vor 8 Jahre, 4 Monate. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 11 Antworten, has 6 Stimmen.

Last updated by Jay vor 8 Jahre, 4 Monate.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author
Artikel

There are some old messages here that all sound like you will support a JSON based API. Either REST API that's now in core or perhaps have your own JSON based API. Where is this on the roadmap/schedule?

Dear Chris,

It is already in our to-do list, here is the feedback from our main developer of Views plugin:
In fact Views has plans (no ETA, not even ticket about it yet) to provide endpoints compatible with the native WordPress JSON API that is getting into WordPres core at some point in the near future.

I suggest subscribe to our toolset blog, you will be updated when it is ready.
https://toolset.com/blog/

I'm subscribed to the blog, hadn't seen mention of this yet.

Soon and no ETA doesn't help me or others on planning though. I take it soon is within the coming year, but know what quarter you are hoping to have it will let me decide if I write my own limited API or wait.

In my case the third party JSON API gets me most of the way there. I will likely branch that. What I would hope for from a Views API is a way to enumerate post relationships. If you could pass that back to dev I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I recently attended a WP Meetup in NYC and saw a great presentation on the REST API.
hidden link

One interesting thing I got out of it is that custom fields are not natively supported at this time. Are there any plans to have a upgrade to the Toolset plugins that would support the WP-API in a similar fashion to the 'ACF to WP-API' plugin [ https://wordpress.org/plugins/acf-to-wp-api/ ].

As mention in the presentation, this plugin helps to realize custom fields in the WP-API and it would certainly be a feature that is needed for the Toolset (Types plugin) to develop websites with custom fields going forward that could take advantage of the WP-API.

Thank you.

I think this is very important feature that is relevant to what toolset has already done.

Thank you.

@zarrars - amen!

@renaudb - I knew ACF had something going on, but your link was super helpful. I took at quick peek at the source - not too crazy. I'll have a look at the Types API to see how much effort it would be to do with Types.

I've integrated my Types custom fields by writing my own theme level hooks for the REST API, but the ease of the ACF implementation makes me consider using it. I'm going to create another ticket to get wp-types feedback again. Maybe they can lend a hand or give us a date.

A little background on the matter. There is a constant debate happening between coding everything and using RAD (rapid application development) tools to get the job done. The concensus is that developers should always code, to the extend that literally use something like a text editor.

I have migrated from the Drupal ecosystem to WordPress, and I find myself coding a lot more than Drupal even for the smallest things. Drupal has taxonomies, custom post (node) types, and Views built in. WordPress while having all this, requires its implementation via code editing. Which can go wrong in so many ways.

In this light, Toolset is literally a port from the Drupal world allowing WordPress to mature into a true CMS. WP-Types Views has very much the same logic as Drupal Views.

Having said this, I removed myself from Drupal simply because their modules have no support, nor are immune to becoming obsolete. CRED already provides a way to create front end alternatives to using the WP admin interface, which is great because it allows restricting access to the admin panels, and creates a white label CMS.

The point is WP has come a long way, and there is need to create web apps, and mobile apps while using the WordPress backend, its a natural evolution of things. Therefore as Toolset, you've come so far ahead with bringing the best of Drupal to WordPress. Why stop now at the PhoneGap, Ionic, REST API, AngularJS areas as this is where everything is headed.

People will always prefer a paid solution as opposed to a free one because, it is a transaction with high levels of expectations. Toolset is awesome, but if CRED had the above implementations in place, it would be in a class of its own.

Thank you.

@zarrars - I loathe Drupal for it's janky modules. That and the disregard for backwards compatibility. I used to use enterprise .NET CMS, but as you said with the current state of WP + Plugins you can get really far at a way lower cost with a more vibrant community.

I have a Toolset For Life license and it's totally worth it and I love the integration of all the plugins. Alas they seem to be lagging on this API issue which, frankly, is key to my Angular 2 hybrid (native mobile/web) project. Worst case I'll write custom code or use ACF in place of Types. The other Toolset plugins seem to play well with ACF.

So they still don't have an ETA, sounds like they haven't started. I will see about creating a plugin this weekend.

@chrish-10: Have you made any progress on your plans here? Wondering if this might already be handled somewhere by now, or if you did make it down this road and just not submit something here...

Jay

Is there any progress on any of this??? I'm going to be moving to a Headless WordPress setup for an offline-first Progressive Web Application (w/ Service Workers) using the WP REST API and a something like Angular, Ionic, etc.

But it seems just Types CPT's are currently supported?

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.