Skip Navigation

[Gelöst] Sort Column by Numerical Value using a single line field

This support ticket is created vor 4 Jahre, 2 Monate. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 6 Antworten, has 2 Stimmen.

Last updated by marcusC-4 vor 4 Jahre, 1 Monat.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
Artikel
image001.png

We have created a table that displays the number of "likes" that our content has. The "Like" field is a custom field created with Toolset and it's a single line field type. It has to be a single line and cannot be changed to a number field.

Is it possible to sort our table numerically even though this is a single line field?

You can see the table here: hidden link

And with the link I gave, you should see that the table is sorted by the 2nd column but it isn't in order. I've also attached a screenshot that shows how it is display for me.

Thanks,

Marcus

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: Englisch (English ) Spanisch (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hi Marcus

I can see that the sorting isn't working for that Likes column, but I can't see why from the front end, can I get access to your site to take a closer look?

I'm afraid, though, that if this is a string field it will be sorted as a string, there isn't an option to change how it is sorted. It would need to be a number field to be sorted as a number.

I will mark your next reply as private so that I can get log-in credentials from you—you may want to create a temporary admin user for me to use that you can later delete. And be sure to have a current backup of your site.

Nigel
Supporter

Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 13.34.29.png

Hi Marcus

When I check the curricula posts I see that they don't have a value stored for the Likes field, they have a custom shortcode (see screenshot).

Because the value stored in the database for the field is "[rating]" then when the table is sorted by that column, which happens with a new database query which specifies that field for the sort order, it fails because, well, there are no numbers to sort by.

What you are trying here cannot work.

Makes sense.

Is there a way to create a "Like" field like we're trying to do using Tooslet?

Nigel
Supporter

I'm not sure what your current solution is, but it needs to save a value in the postmeta table if you are to be able to order by it.

I know other clients have used the plugin Favorites (hidden link) which may require a little effort to integrate with Toolset, but I know it saves the favorite count in post meta as "simplefavorites_count" so you can output that in your View listing posts and it should work in your table sort.

Ok, thanks for the info & the suggestion. We'll look into it.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.