Skip Navigation

[Gelöst] pseudo class ":checked" not working in custom search checkbox

This support ticket is created vor 6 Jahre, 1 Monat. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 6 Antworten, has 2 Stimmen.

Last updated by Christian Cox vor 6 Jahre, 1 Monat.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
Artikel

I am trying to: Turn checkboxes into buttons

I expected to see: checkbox label to turn red when checked

Instead, I got: no effect when checked

Hello,

I would like to hide the default browser checkboxes and style the Views checkboxes to look like buttons. I used the following ticket as reference https://toolset.com/forums/topic/checkboxes-as-separate-buttons/. Unfortunately the pseudo class :checked is not working. Can you take a look at the following css and tell me if I'm doing something wrong?

.checkbox {
background: #999 none repeat scroll 0 0;
display: inline-block !important;
padding: 10px 20px;
}

.checkbox:hover {
background: #fff none repeat scroll 0 0;
}

.checkbox:active {
background: red none repeat scroll 0 0;
}

.checkbox:checked {
background: red none repeat scroll 0 0;
}

.checkbox input {
display:none !important;
}

.checkbox label {
padding-left:0 !important;
}

Thanks,
Brent

Hi, can you be more specific than "not working"? I cannot see your site so I have no idea what is happening. Try this:

.checkbox:checked {
margin-left: 100px !important;
display: block !important;
}

Is the checkbox displayed with a large left margin now? If so, then you know the selector is working, and the problem is either your styles being overridden or your styles being invalid. For example, I do not think background color on a checkbox input will accomplish anything.

Hi Christian,

My goal is to removed/hide the checkbox element and have the checkbox's label act like a button. I do not want to see a checkbox. The label would act like a button with hover, active and checked states.

What I mean by "not working" is the pseudo-class :checked does not have any effect no matter how I configure the selectors. What's odd to me is all of the css I included in my original message works well (including pseudo-casses :active, :hover), with the exception of :checked.

Also, the css you provided did not work. Again, it's just the :checked portion that does not have any effect.

It seems that other toolset users have had this issue with :checked, but the tickets do not have a solution even through they're marked as "resolved."

checked.png

I can help troubleshoot this if I can see the site in my browser, where I can look at the inspector and see what styles are overriding the ones we discussed. Can you provide a URL and login credentials, if necessary? If not, then open your browser's inspector and inspect the checked checkbox in the DOM. Take a screenshot showing all the styles applied to the checkbox element. I am attaching an example inspector in Chrome. As you can see, the checked pseudo selector is utilized and respected. If that is not happening on your site, there is something else interfering. Please let me know what you find.

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to style the div wrapper, or the checkbox input? The CSS class "checkbox" is applied to the div wrapper, not the checkbox input. The pseudo-selector :checked will never apply to the div wrapper, so your selector .checked:checked is never going to work.

Here's how you can modify the left margin of the checkbox input:

.checkbox input[type="checkbox"]:checked {
margin-left: 100px !important;
display: block !important;
}

However, this other code you have put in place already hides the checkbox inputs. Your importants are conflicting...so I'm confused.

.checkbox input {
}
Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 9.18.19 AM.png

I want to remove/hide the checkbox input. I don't want to see a checkbox.

Is it possible style the checkbox's label to look/act like a button with hover, active and checked states?

As reference, see Genres buttons in attached image.

I want to remove/hide the checkbox input. I don't want to see a checkbox.
Remove all the pseudo selectors, since those only apply to checkboxes. In your example, this code will hide the browser checkbox completely, provided you do not override it elsewhere:

.checkbox input {
}

Is it possible style the checkbox's label to look/act like a button with hover, active and checked states?
Toolset does not offer such a form control, only standard browser checkboxes, radio buttons, text inputs, and select fields. It may be possible with a significant amount of custom JavaScript and CSS, but this level of customization is ultimately beyond the scope of what we provide here in the forums, per our support policy: https://toolset.com/toolset-support-policy/

With that being said, I'm happy to help troubleshoot existing code.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.