Skip Navigation

[Gelöst] How to get the values of a date field?

Dieser Thread wurde gelöst. Hier ist eine Beschreibung des Problems und der Lösung.

Problem: I would like to get the values of a repeating date custom field, and output a custom data structure including the formatted dates.

Solution:
Custom code is required here. In general, you can get the value of a custom field using the WordPress API get_post_meta. If the Types start date field slug is 'start-tour-date', then the get_post_meta function will look something like this, using a wpcf- prefix for the field slug:

$post_id = 1234;
$start_dates = get_post_meta($post_id, 'wpcf-start-tour-date', false);

Note that the Types field slug includes a wpcf- prefix here. This will return an array of date values in Unix timestamp format.

To get a single field value, like the number of tour nights, you can use get_post_meta again like so:

$number_of_tour_nights = get_post_meta($post_id, 'wpcf-number-of-tour-nights, true);

Once you have those values, you can loop over the repeating values and create your own array of information to output. You'll need a way to format dates based on Unix timestamps. You can use PHP's date function for this. For example, to format a date like 2021-08-31 from a Unix timestamp like 1630368000, you can use the date function like so:

$timestamp = 1630368000;
$formatted_date = date('Y-m-d', $timestamp);

If you want to calculate a date in the future based on the start date and number of nights, you can use the number of seconds in a day (60 seconds per minute * 60 minutes per hour * 24 hours per day) in your PHP calculations, then format the end date:

$start_date = 1630368000;
$number_of_nights = 4;
$end_date = $start_date + (60 * 60 * 24 * $number_of_nights);
$formatted_end_date = date( 'Y-m-d', $end_date);

Relevant Documentation:
https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/get_post_meta/
https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php
https://toolset.com/documentation/customizing-sites-using-php/functions/

This support ticket is created vor 3 Jahre, 3 Monate. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 5 Antworten, has 2 Stimmen.

Last updated by fred-r.M vor 3 Jahre, 3 Monate.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
Artikel

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I like to get all values from a date field (I know there is some coding included) to get in the end this result:

[
{start: '2021-08-31', end: '2021-09-05'},
    {start: '2021-09-11', end: '2021-09-15'},
    {start: '2021-09-15', end: '2021-09-23'},
    {start: '2021-10-01', end: '2021-10-07'}
]

The date field is define like this:

Field Type: Date (Input only the date)
Single or repeating field? Allow multiple instances of this field

I use this field on a single product (WooCommerce) and the results will be in a calendar (provided some code from myself) where I can use the "form" above.

Additional field we like to use is the amount of days - so the end date will be 'start-tour-date' + 'number-of-tour-nights'

I know - respectively I am sure there is an easy way to get all information (values) from each start-tour-date.

Is there any documentation that you are following? I didn't found any documentation.

What I expect, if You could help with a basic coding (php), to get it done, having it as a variable or so is fine.

Is there a similar example that we can see?

In the end I like to have this:

[
{start: '2021-08-31', end: '2021-09-05'},
    {start: '2021-09-11', end: '2021-09-15'},
    {start: '2021-09-15', end: '2021-09-23'},
    {start: '2021-10-01', end: '2021-10-07'}
]

What is the link to your site? hidden link

Hello, it sounds like you need assistance outputting a custom data structure given some Types field values. Most of this custom code is your responsibility, as it falls outside the scope of support we offer here: https://toolset.com/toolset-support-policy/.

However, I can share some information you might find helpful in crafting a custom code solution. In general, you can get the value of a custom field using the WordPress API get_post_meta:
https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/get_post_meta/
If the Types start date field slug is 'start-tour-date', then the get_post_meta function will look something like this, using a wpcf- prefix for the field slug:

$post_id = 1234;
$start_dates = get_post_meta($post_id, 'wpcf-start-tour-date', false);

Note that the Types field slug includes a wpcf- prefix here. This will return an array of date values in Unix timestamp format.

I assume the number of tour nights field only allows one value, it is not repeating. To get a single field value, like the number of tour nights, you can use get_post_meta again like so:

$number_of_tour_nights = get_post_meta($post_id, 'wpcf-number-of-tour-nights, true);

Once you have those values, you can loop over the repeating values and create your own array of information to output. You'll need a way to format dates based on Unix timestamps. You can use PHP's date function for this: https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php

For example, to format a date like 2021-08-31 from a Unix timestamp like 1630368000, you can use the date function like so:

$timestamp = 1630368000;
$formatted_date = date('Y-m-d', $timestamp);

If you want to calculate a date in the future based on the start date and number of nights, you can use the number of seconds in a day (60 seconds per minute * 60 minutes per hour * 24 hours per day) in your PHP calculations, then format the end date:

$number_of_nights = 4;

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need additional help getting the values of a Types custom date field, and I can give more assistance on that topic. If you need additional information about creating a custom output structure, you may need the assistance of an independent contractor.

Dear Christian Cox

Thank You for this part of coding...

Now I need to create a loop... basically with those information and pieces of code:

If You could help me with it would be great...

I need to have in the end this together:

"09/01/2021","20/02/2021","03/04/2021"

And here is some coding from You, and what I have already, from /* shortcode to st datepicker gravity forms */. But I struggle to add the foreach loop. I am sure the dates I have are in an array, as It should show all dates used in this post (Woocommerce product).

$number_of_nights = 4;

$tour_date = get_post_meta($post->ID, 'wpcf-start-tour-date', false);

$tourdates = array("red", "green", "blue", "yellow");

foreach ($tourdates as $value) {
  echo "$value<br>";
}

/* shortcode to st datepicker gravity forms */
function display_gf_datepicker() {

global $post;
  $number_of_tour_nights = get_post_meta($post->ID, 'wpcf-number-of-tour-nights, true);
  $str = '';

$str .= '<script type="text/javascript">';
  $str .= 'gform.addFilter( "gform_datepicker_options_pre_init", function( optionsObj, formId, fieldId ) {';
  $str .= 'if ( formId == 3 && fieldId == 8 ) {';
  $str .= 'var enableDays = ["09/01/2021","20/02/2021","03/04/2021"];';
  $str .= 'optionsObj.beforeShowDay = function(date) {';
  $str .= 'var checkdate = jQuery.datepicker.formatDate("dd/mm/yy", date);';
  $str .= 'return [enableDays.indexOf(checkdate) != -1];';
  $str .= '};';
  $str .= '}';
  $str .= 'return optionsObj;';
  $str .= '});';
  $str .= '</script>';

return $str;
}

add_shortcode( 'show_gf_datepicker', 'display_gf_datepicker' );

Dear Christian Cox

I am having this code. As I am not a "big" php-programmer, I appreciate if You can check it and give some feeback. It's working - so far nice You find it here in the bottom part where I have a test form from Gravity:

hidden link

To mention it's the tour date to choose.

/* shortcode to st datepicker gravity forms */
function display_gf_datepicker() {

global $post;
  $str = '';

$str .= '<script type="text/javascript">';
  $str .= 'gform.addFilter( "gform_datepicker_options_pre_init", function( optionsObj, formId, fieldId ) {';
  $str .= 'if ( formId == 3 && fieldId == 8 ) {';
  $str .= 'var enableDays = ['.get_my_dates().'];';
  $str .= 'optionsObj.beforeShowDay = function(date) {';
  $str .= 'var checkdate = jQuery.datepicker.formatDate("dd/mm/yy", date);';
  $str .= 'return [enableDays.indexOf(checkdate) != -1];';
  $str .= '};';
  $str .= '}';
  $str .= 'return optionsObj;';
  $str .= '});';
  $str .= '</script>';

return $str;
}
add_shortcode( 'show_gf_datepicker', 'display_gf_datepicker' );

function get_my_dates() {

global $post;
  $str = '';
  $tourdates = get_post_meta($post->ID, 'wpcf-start-tour-date', false);
  $alltourdates = count($tourdates);
  $mycounter = 0;
  while ($mycounter < $alltourdates)
  {
	  $myresults = date( 'd/m/Y', $tourdates[$mycounter]);
	  $mycounter++;
	  /*$str .= $mycounter;*/
	  $str .= '"'.$myresults.'"';
	  $str .= ',';
  }
  return $str;
}

As I am not a "big" php-programmer, I appreciate if You can check it and give some feeback.
Hi, it looks like you were able to solve this with a "while" loop. Is there something specific you need from Toolset at this point, or are you looking for general feedback? In general, I think your solution here is a good one. I am able to see you have used the get_post_meta function to get information from a Types field here:

$tourdates = get_post_meta($post->ID, 'wpcf-start-tour-date', false);

That looks great. You are counting the number of dates using the PHP count function - that seems fine as well. Then you have used a "while" loop to loop over those dates and activate each specific date in a gform calendar widget by writing to a string of JavaScript configurations:

$myresults = date( 'd/m/Y', $tourdates[$mycounter]);

It seems to work well when there are multiple tour dates. I suggest testing these specific scenarios to confirm the code is solid:
- What happens if a post has no tour dates? Does the PHP code or JS code throw errors?
- What happens if a post has only one tour date? Does the PHP code or JS code throw errors?
- What happens if the start dates are not in chronological order, like if the dates are 1610880000, 1610890000, 1610870000, does the calendar work as expected?

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.