Skip Navigation

[Gelöst] Breadcrumbs with Toolset

Dieser Thread wurde gelöst. Hier ist eine Beschreibung des Problems und der Lösung.

Problem:
Can we create breadcrumbs, or chained navigations with a "backtrace" with Toolset?

Solution:
Toolset does natively not provide any form of navigation, menu or BreadCrumb.
However, you can, for example, use YOAST with Toolset:
They provide a BreadCrumb ShortCode

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views-shortcodes-for-other-plugins/

This support ticket is created vor 6 Jahre, 2 Monate. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Author
Artikel

- Tourist info with business directory website.
- Navigation should be 'chained' as (ie):
Regions>Provinces>Canton's>Parishes (Counties)>Cities>Neighborhood>Restaurants>Vegetarian
- In pre-sale question I already get answer on more sophisticated part of issue, but here is several questions and it is all about it how to set 'administrative' (political) hierarchy of navigation (from Region to Neighborhood), regards two requirements:
a) (IMPORTANT) - Must be possible to be done advanced search filtering.
b) (less important) To get above 'breadcrumbs' navigation.

A) Categories or fields option
- Actually it is about - should I set it as category or like fields?
- In addition. In Pods, it is not a issue, as I can create category, exclude it from metabox sidebar (Toolset also can do it) and create in post metabox selectable relational field (pull options from chosen category).
- In Toolset - I can see only option to decide between category or fields.

B) One-to-many relationships option (looks most correctly choice)
- If I will create hierarchically posts, for me looks that I can achieve navigation (but, search filtering?), but I can be wrong.
- Advantage is also that I can easy to create layouts and views, as well other posts types (info, businesses, events and deals), also probably can be related to 'destination' post types.

So, please advice, as it is exactly starting point. I know that I can experiment, but I ask for proper and efficient advice (as there is certainly some other issues what I can't see now).

- Regards, the forum posts, it is clear that taxonomy option is out of choice as there is no way to limit selection.
- Also regards forum (particularly similar question https://toolset.com/forums/topic/chained-select-and-url-redirect/), relationship posts are only option, as I can't see option for hierarchical relationships of fields within same post type.
- As I will need entire 'chain block' (let's call all fields 'Location') within other post types (ie Businesses), it looks that only option is post types relationships and creating View for 'Location fields block'.

I should to try and maybe I will need some help.

Please file one request, report or question each ticket.
This allows us to reply on point and in time, and you to focus on one issue a time.
As well, later, when you or others search for similar issues, it will be much easier to find a solution, if we separate the topics.

So, let's start with one issue here, and I will shortly touch the rest, but if you have more doubts on those topics, I suggest to create a ticket each.

Navigation should be 'chained' as (ie):
Regions>Provinces>Canton's>Parishes (Counties)>Cities>Neighborhood>Restaurants>Vegetarian

This is a BreadCrumb, and Toolset does natively not provide any form of navigation, menu or BreadCrumb.
However, you can for example use YOAST with Toolset:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views-shortcodes-for-other-plugins/

how to set 'administrative' (political) hierarchy of navigation (from Region to Neighborhood)

I am not sure what political hierarchy in navigation is, but if you mean the BreadCrumbs, then refer to above answer.
If you refer to a hierarchical and dynamic search, whereas you can for example choose term one of a certain search handle, and then term 2 and 3 of another handle appears, is not possible, and controllable only partially, more about later.

should I set it as category or like fields?

This depends entirely on you and what the plans are to use, display and keep maintained later.
In general, I go like this:
- as less post types as possible
- categorize post types with taxonomies
- add additional repeating informations with fields.

Whenever I think "Should I use a complex field like checkboxes, or a hierarchical Taxonomy" I try to use a Taxonomy.
But that always depends what I want to do with that data later.

You can as example create a list of taxonomy terms belonging to a post with a single shortcode, but you cannot do that for an entire field's Group.
Or, you can search by Taxonomy and Fields in a post view, but you cannot do this in a taxonomy view itself.

Pods is different, and uses different things.
We do not offer to choose options when assigning terms to Posts.
I am not aware that Pods does that, but I do not use that plugin either.

Coming back to your initial request to have a structure like Regions>Provinces>Canton's>Parishes (Counties)>Cities>Neighborhood>Restaurants>Vegetarian, a post relationship makes sense, definitely.

For example you can make restaurants Childs of the Places, so you can then categorize the places with Taxonomies (City, etc).

Did you know that we have a reference site library, where the project you seem to approach is already available, so to be customized?
http://discover-wp.com/
I suggest to look at this 2 sites:
https://discover-wp.com/site-types/travel-destinations/
https://discover-wp.com/site-types/bootstrap-estate-layouts/

It is correct that WordPress taxonomies do not have the feature of limiting input, and Toolset does not add it either.
As well, it is correct that you cannot nest Fields in themselves.

But, to answer your initial question you can not create breadcrumbs with Toolset natively.
You can use another Plugin (YOAST) and use the ShortCode we provide for.

Please let me know if I misunderstood your request, and let's focus on one issue here only, so we can solve it as soon as possible.

For the Structure itself, as far I understand, yes, a Post Relationship, as I explained above would make sense.
Again here for reference:
- A relationship between Restaurants and Locations
- Locations are categorized in Countries and Continents.
- Or, you create more parent post types to categorize your Locations - as it is done in the Real Estate Site I referenced above.

Thanks for reply, it will help, definitely (for begin), but...
A) I know about more issues in one ticket, but here is essentially all inevitable. Breadcrumbs navigation is essential for tourist info listing site and I simply must to think about it from begin and exactly related to main issue in ticket.
- Second element is also Post Types design (Views), as too many Post Types will make the 'mess' with entire site, particularly with Views and CRED (you also wrote it in that sense, if I get it well). Basically, demo site of properties is 'tricky' as there is no Views (pages - as there is also no content of posts) for 'locations' (States and Cities).
B) Breadcrumbs are easy to answer, as I just asked - is it possible. So, if it is not possible to set it if I will use taxonomies and fields, obviously remain only post types.
C) Also, it is possible to make sort of 'hierarchical chain' with fields by usage of conditional logic, but in Toolset I can't see how to set it rationally, as it is about 1500 'Parishes' and obviously is not anymore in consideration like option.

Finally, please be kind to explain me what you mean with:

"For example you can make restaurants Childs of the Places, so you can then categorize the places with Taxonomies (City, etc)."

Reason for question is - It could be eventually option for consideration, if I can display Categories in View and CRED by 'Single drop down select' (to disable multiple selection). However, that will exclude usage of categories in 'Breadcrumbs chain', right (I cannot 'navigate' categories and ending with 'post', right?)?

I am not sure I understand.

A) OK. No problem, I think the questions where answered and there is no issue posting them in one ticket, just if the single topics get "deeper", we need to split them.

B) Yes, this is not natively possible, but you can use YOAST breadcrumbs shortcodes.
BreadCrumbs usually follow a dynamic logic of "what did I visit last", and that is not possible with Toolset.

You can, however, create a list of hierarchical terms for example, and list those as a sort of breadCrumbs of parent Taxonomies.
But that is technically not a breadcrumb; it's a Taxonomy Archive Link list. It's not dynamic related to "what did I visit last".

C) I am not sure what you mean by this.
Yes, it's possible to display fields conditionally both when editing, and showing the fields.
But that won't alow you to create breadcrumbs.

It allows you solely to display Field A, based on a condition, usually coming from a field value B.

Finally, please be kind to explain to me what you mean with:

"For example, you can make restaurants Childs of the Places, so you can then categorize the places with Taxonomies (City, etc)."

Sure.
I meant you could create a Post relationship.
Restaurants can be a post type and Places.
Places are parents of Restaurants.
Many Restaurants can be in one place.
Each place has taxonomies (City, State, Continent).

This allows you to create a View, where you can search places by those Taxonomies.
In the View, you display another view which shows the Restaurants, child of the Places Posts.

This also allows you to show sort of a "BreadCrumb" of taxonomies when for example you view a Place post.
It could be a view, that lists the terms of this post, in a hierarchical output.

Clicking on each term would lead to the specific place's taxonomy archive.

It could be eventually option for consideration, if I can display Categories in View and CRED by 'Single drop down select' (to disable multiple selection). However, that will exclude usage of categories in 'Breadcrumbs chain', right (I cannot 'navigate' categories and ending with 'post', right?)?

While you can display Taxonomy Search and CRED form fields as single select, I do not understand how this should relate to the navigation.
As said, it's not possible to create a breadcrumb with Toolset.
If you mean the link to the taxonomy archive, listed hierarchically, as above explained, this is possible, and it does not depend on how the fields in CRED or Views are displayed, but on what you insert in the Loop where you output these links.

It would not matter how you create or search for them.

You can "navigate" categories for example in a taxonomy Archive created with Views.
There you can insert a link to the post.
So when you View an archive of taxonomies you can reach finally as well the single post.

These are all very different approaches and topics though.

One is the creation of searches, the other the creation and use of CRED forms, the third the creation of taxonomiy archives, and the fourth the creation of a list to taxonomy archives.

Which one would you like to follow in this thread?

You actually get the point at the end. I would like all of that (even more) within one topic, but I think that it could be less extensive and complicated.

I'm now (at least, that is what I think) not clear only with one question what you basically exposed as final concept:

- I will make CPT 'chain' of = Regions>Provinces>Canton's>Parishes>Neighborhoods> = (four final kinds of posts) - Sites (physical locations, like beach, waterfall), Events, Deals and/or Places (businesses and/or public services). As Regions, Provinces, Canton's, Parishes, Neighborhoods and Sites will have the 100% same fields, views, forms and that's not the issue (should not to be). That 'chain' is also done by same concept in Toolset Real estate demo site. Events are obviously child post type. Deals are other story (not here, in topic).
P.S. Entries are via 'Dashboard' (no CRED). At begin, also for Events (it is not likely that will be extended to CRED).

- Only unclear are Places. If I get you well, Places (business/public services) is better:

a) To customize fields, views and forms, trough conditional logic and different views (that is what I understand from your reply)

or

b) To create additional posts types (in same 'chain level') with specific fields/taxonomies (probably only 3 types, certainly not more than 6 types - Accommodation, Food and Services - Transport could be number 4 ...)?

P.S. In majority of cases, entries should be done via CRED (so, also Access should to be included).

I do not understand if you want or not CRED.

You mention once not to do it with CRED but last, to do it with CRED and access.

It is a little more restricted with CRED as currently, you cannot create infinite children or parents in CRED but only one child a time, after you already created the parent.

In the backend that is more flexible, and in short (or currently in the beta of Types and Views) you can take advantage of the many to many relations features which make a lot of the creation process more comfortable.

But this is yet in beta and can only be tested on a test site (recommended).

As for the "chain", yes, in the reference site those are post types.
If you want the same sort of setup, then you need to mimic this

I suggest in this case to just export that site and build on top of it.

We wrote all too much extended and obviously that caused confusion, but, NO, I did not wrote "You mention once not to do it with CRED but last, to do it with CRED and access.", but irrelevant. I wrote in last reply that 'infrastructure posts' (basically, all 'parents posts'), I will do in backend and ALL final (in chain level) 'child posts' should be filed in CRED.

I certainly will make it by observing all done in 'real estate demo site'.

Thanks again for 'clearance' as begin is always most difficult part and understanding consequences of 'design concept' is crucial.

I am sorry, I must have misunderstood, that is why I asked clarification.

You had stated to want to use CRED, but then do not want to use it, and that confused me - that's all:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/chained-items/#post-617968

P.S. Entries are via 'Dashboard' (no CRED). At begin, also for Events (it is not likely that will be extended to CRED).

And:

P.S. In majority of cases, entries should be done via CRED (so, also Access should to be included).

I just asked clarification, so I elaborated on both approaches directly. I see that is clear now.

Let me know if I can help in further tickets, in case you have addon questions or need more info!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.