Skip Navigation

[Gelöst] 504 error when updating custom post types from Tooolset

This support ticket is created vor 4 Jahre. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 12 Antworten, has 2 Stimmen.

Last updated by Waqar vor 4 Jahre.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author
Artikel

When we update a custom post type made with Toolset the post page does not refresh and gives instead an error 504 like you see in the screenshot

Hi, is this the support ticket that is now open?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: Englisch (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

I've set your next reply as private.

Please share a clone/snapshot for your website, as explained in this guide:
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

regards,
Waqar

Hi to all, do you have any update to this ticket?
Thanks

Franco

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Franco,

Thank you for waiting and I apologize for the delay in getting back on this.

Since it is a live website and the issue only seems to happen on your website, it is important that a clone of the website is tested on a different server.

The username and password that you've shared no longer seem to work, but for a large website, the "uploads" folder can be excluded from the back-up to reduce its size, when using the Duplicator plugin.
( ref: hidden link )

Note: With your permission, I can create and download the duplicator package directly from your website, once you'll share the working username and password.

I've set your next reply as private as well.

regards,
Waqar

Hi,
you can do the duplication of the website, you can now log-in with the credentials I sent you .
Please let me know if you succeed.
Thanks.
Franco

Any update on this please?

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Franco,

Thank you for restoring the admin access and for your permission.

Your website's database and the files are huge, but I was finally able to create and download a duplicator package, after tweaking some file and database filters.

I'll be performing some tests with this package on my test server and will let you know how it goes.

Thank you for your patience.

regards,
Waqar

Hi Waqar good morning, kindly let us know as soon as you heve some updates on this issue.
We need to give to the client some news about that.

Thanks

Franco

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Franco,

Thanks for checking in.

I'm still working on some tests around this and will share my detailed findings with you, by the end of day today.

regards,
Waqar

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Franco,

First, thank you for waiting as this investigation turned out to be more complex than initially anticipated.

Despite testing the website's clone on a couple of different servers, I couldn't see 504 error while updating the posts in the post type "Schede" post type.

It does take a lot of time to update though (close to 2 mins at times), which is understandable due to the extremely large size of the database.

The database not only includes 3 different sets of Tables with different prefixes but even the posts and post meta table of the website consists of unusually high numbers for records.

This explains the 504 timeout error on your website's host, as the "PHP time limit" is set to only "120". You can increase this value by adding the following line in the website's "wp-config.php" file or requesting your hosting support team to do this for you:

set_time_limit(480);

Another thing that I'll recommend is to keep the WordPress, theme and all plugins up-to-date and clean the database from the unnecessary tables and records, to improve the performance.

You can either use third-party plugins for this or hire a professional contractor:
https://toolset.com/contractors/

I hope these points will help and please let me know how it goes.

regards,
Waqar

Hi Waqar,
thanks for your reply, I have 2 questions:
1) regarding your sentence "The database not only includes 3 different sets of Tables with different prefixes but even the posts and post meta table of the website consists of unusually high numbers for records." does the 3 tables belong to Toolset implementation? When does Toolset creates a new database table? And also, the high number of records does apply to specific table or content?
Could you list what can be the plugins to be used to clean up the database from unnececssary tables or records to improve the performance?

2) the line "set_time_limit(480);" in the wp-config.php file can be placed everywhere in the file?

Thanks

Franco

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Franco,

1). If you'll check the phpMyAdmin tool from your hosting provider or check the create new duplicator package screen ( WP Admin -> Duplicator -> Packages -> Create New ), you'll see that there are tables starting from 3 different prefixes:
( screenshot: hidden link )

a). wp_
b). wpfe_
c). wpurban_

Based on the website's "wp-config.php" file only the tables with a prefix "wp_" are in use.

The tables with the other prefixes could be from a different WordPress install in the past which used the same database or from a different backup plugin, but it is highly unlikely that they're in use now or even needed.

Note: The Toolset plugins don't create these tables with the different prefixes.

The large tables are the ones that store comments, posts, post meta, and the Relevanssi plugin's data.
( the Relevanssi plugin is no longer active on the website )

The database cleanup and optimization is a very sensitive and irreversible process, so please proceed with extreme caution and only after making a complete back-up copy.

Here are some useful guides that review the popular plugins for this:
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link

2). You can place that line just above the comment:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

regards,
Waqar

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.